Tuesday, November 1, 2011

October in Review

The beginning of the October started off fine, as I finished a few books I started in September. Then  came the dreaded audiobook. Maybe it was a coincidence, but after finally finishing Sidney Poitier's The Measure of a Man, I lost all of my reading momentum. I found I was in the midst of a serious slump. I couldn't concentrate on reading anything remotely taxing. I had a hard time even concentrating on great, insightful posts by my favorite bloggers. 

So what did I do? I started another audiobook. I fell in love with it after ten minutes, and I am comfortable declaring to the world that THE SLUMP IS OVER!!! YAY!!! 


I'm almost done with the audiobook, and I read two novellas from Melville House's Contemporary Art of the Novella series (Customer Service and The North of God). Both were four star reads. 

Of course, I need to get through some books if I'm going to have any content this month. In the NaNoWriMo spirit, I've committed to blogging every day for the month of November. No, it's not a novel, but it is a commitment to my writing.

My October reading breakdown:
6 books total
4 fiction                      67%
2 nonfiction                33%
1 female authors        17%
1 work in translation 17%

Those statistics are pretty unusual for me. I normally have a much higher percentage of female authors. However, as I mentioned, two of the books I read are from the Contemporary Art of the Novella series, which is very male dominated. In fact, I want to check and see if there is even one female author. I've got a post brewing about that subject that I'm sure will come out during this month of blogging.

1 comment:

Vasilly said...

I'm glad to hear your reading slump is over! Those things are the worst. I hope November is a great reading month for you.