Sunday, August 21, 2011

What to Read Next


I'm down to four unread library books, which is pretty good. I had nine checked out at once just a little bit ago - that's a lot for me! Now my problem is deciding which one to read next. I chose three of these because they were available at my library and longlisted for this year's Booker Prize.

I can't remember why I chose Binocular Vision (Edith Pearlman). I put in a hold request for it, so there must have been a reason. It's a short story collection, and it looks pretty good. It's also the one due the earliest, so maybe I should start it.

Technically, I've started A Cupboard Full of Coats (Yvvette Edwards) already. I picked it up from the library on Friday, and then went to my favorite Chinese restaurant to order takeout. While I was waiting, I read the first couple of chapters. I didn't want to get too invested, though, because I was in the middle of two other books.

I've read mixed reviews of Stephen Kelman's Pigeon English. It looks like a quick read, though, so maybe I should just get to it right away.

The last option is Carol Birch's Jamrach's Manangerie. It appears rather interesting - a circus/high seas adventure. Not something I'd usually pick up, but that's why sometimes I like to read from some prize lists. I want to make sure I'm getting a good mix in!

Have you read any of these? If so, what did you think?

4 comments:

Kwame (Adventures of 2.0) said...

I'm so jealous of people like you who live in countries with well stocked libraries. I have to buy just about everything I read...from Amazon 'cause our bookstores suck too.

MJ said...

@K @ BaffledBooks K, I hear you. I complain about my library sometimes because the branch by me isn't well stocked, but I can always request books to be sent there from other branches. My library system as a whole is very good. I'm going to be moving soon (hopefully temporarily) and I don't really know what that library system is like.

nomadreader said...

I have Jamrach and A Cupboard Full of Coats near the top of my pile too. I wasn't a huge fan of Pigeon English, but it *is* a quick read, so it might not be a bad place to start. I have only two lingering library books to get through before I can devote myself to the Booker longlist titles I had to buy:-)

MJ said...

@nomadreader I read a bit more of Cupboard - it starts kinda slow. I hope it picks up. I also read the first story in the Pearlman collection, and it was really good. I think I might put Cupboard down for a bit and see if I can just power through Pigeon English.