Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Top Ten Books I Want to ReRead

Top Ten Tuesdays is a weekly feature created by the folks over at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's prompt is to list the Top Ten Books you'd like to reread. You're welcome to join in the fun!

I don't typically reread books, because there are so many books out there that I haven't read yet. Sometimes, though, I do read a book more than once. Usually, it's a short, easy book. I like to reread things I read when I was much younger, to see if they stand up to an adult perspective


1) Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery. I have been craving a reading of this lately. I need to locate a copy.
2) Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston. I read this in high school but didn't really appreciate it. I think I'm ready for it now.
3)Where the Sidewalk Ends, Shel Silverstein. I have a copy of The Giving Tree on my shelf, and I pull it down periodically for a re-read. I don't have any of my old poetry collections by Silverstein, though, and I miss them.
4) & 5) Maus I&II, Art Spiegelman. Because they are awesome. 

6) Little House on the Prairie, Laura Ingalls Wilder. Because it's been too long since I hung out with the little half pint half drunk up.
7) MacBeth, William Shakespeare. Because I am embarrassingly ignorant of the bard. I read a bunch of his stuff when I was younger, but it has all kind of blended together.
8) Number the Stars, Lois Lowry. Another favorite from my childhood.
9) & 10) The Iliad & The Odyssey, Homer. I don't know if these really count as rereads, as I've never read the complete versions. Whatever, I think they count, so that's all that matters.

5 comments:

ImageNations said...

I also don't do rereads. I have reread only about two books.

Stephen said...

If you want to read the Illiad, recently I read a prose form of it by Barbara Leonie Picard. The edition I read came with illustrations that were meant as a homage to Greek art -- very well done, I thought. I read that a couple of weeks ago and intend on tacking the Odyssey soon. :)

Alexa S. said...

I grew up reading Anne of Green Gables and the Little House series. They're still books I love so much up until today :)

MJ said...

@Nana - yeah, I need to have a pretty good reason to do a reread.

@smellincoffee - thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

@Alexa - I know, they are so great! I loved that there were so many books in the series. They kept me busy when I was younger.

LBC said...

Oh how I love Shel Silverstein. I used to do an assignment in class where students could write about a poem that they knew and liked and I often got a lot of responses to "Messy Room."

Come visit my list at The Scarlet Letter.