Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Sunday Salon: Back in New York!

Yes, this blog is once again being brought to you from the Big Apple (at least until I transition to my cousin's in the Garden State later this week.)

ATA pilot training
Two female pilots in 1942! Credit
I woke up at the ungodly hour of 4am this morning to make my 6:40 flight. No problems to report - the flight, which was helmed by not one but TWO "lady pilots," as my chipper flight attendant gleefully told us, went smoothly, and we touched down at JFK right on time. I don't think I've ever ridden on a plane with one female pilot, much less both the captain and co-pilot. It made me unaccountably happy.

I managed to get a little reading done on the plane, but I was pretty sleepy, so it was hard to concentrate. I'm really enjoying Nuruddin Farah's Maps, though, so I'm looking forward to digging into it more when I have a better opportunity.

I didn't see that meany people reading on the place. I think it was too early for almost everybody. There was one family of four book lovers sitting near me. At some point all of them pulled out a book. The 13 year old girl was alternating between The Book Thief and something on her e-reader, the dad was reading Bill Bryson's At Home, and the mom had The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I couldn't see what the boy, aged about 10, was reading.

Anyway, I'm glad to be in New York, even if it is cold and gray. It's temporary for now, but who knows? Maybe something will happen to make it more permanent.

In recognition of  being in the city, I've got a post planned for later this week featuring 10 quintessential New York books. Be sure to come back and check it out!

How's your Sunday so far?

2 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

One of my dreams is to visit New York! I almost feel like I've been there through books and movies...but in person would be better.

Enjoy!

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Love New York!!! Have fun!