Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pin It, Do It: Tile Coasters

Coasters by Jenny
For the third installment of the Pin It, Do It challenge, I decided to make a set of coasters.

I found this tutorial awhile back, and planned to make a set of coasters for my sister's birthday in August. She's moving out of the house soon, and somehow I don't think coasters are on the top of an 18 year old's list of things to buy. However, since they were going to be a present, I thought it would be a good idea to do a trial run.

The original instructions called for a coating of polycrylic, but the clerk at the craft store said that Mod Podge was basically the same thing, and I didn't see the point in buying both products. If after using these for a bit it turns out the Mod Podge isn't holding up, then I'll use the polycylic next time. Hence the purpose of a trial run.

My supplies
I used scrapbook paper with old typewriter keys on it. I love the colors, and how it looks old-fashioned-writer-ish. I'm sure old book pages or illustrations would look really nice, too.

I think I covered the tiles with four coats of Mod Podge. They look nice, but they don't have that "covered in a thick layer of acrylic" look. I think it's fine, but I can see how a thicker coating would be nice, too. I guess I could give them another coat or two of Mod Podge, but I'm not really that concerned.

When I put on the felt "feet" I super glued them even though they had sticky backs. I just didn't want them falling off and then having to replace them. This way they should stay on a while longer.

Here's the finished project :
 I can't wait until they're completely cured so I can snuggle up and set my cup of tea on them while I read an old book. Thanks, Trish, for pushing me to be all crafty. This was really fun!

3 comments:

Allie said...

Oh, I love these! I may have to make some!

Rayna said...

These are adorable! I've had this same tutorial bookmarked for ages but haven't ever gotten around to doing it.

They would definitely make great presents -- your sister is very lucky!

Hanna said...

That paper really makes all the difference, what a lovely paper and looks great on coasters! I'll have to remember this when I make Christmas presents this year.