Monday, October 10, 2011

Books Without Words

Sequence I, James Siena
Hi, my name is MJ. I like books. I like art. I graduated from UCF back in... some year. I don't want to think about how long I've been out of undergrad.

Anyways, this post is a shout out to my alma mater, which started Flying Horse Editions, a fine art research facility and non-profit publisher of (among other things) artist books. Maybe they want to employ a law grad who doesn't really know anything about art law? I'm sure I could learn!

I was on the UCF website when I saw this beautiful art book, Sequence I, by James Siena. If you go to the website, you can watch a short video of the whole book laid out. It won't let me embed it here - boo. Apparently I'm not the only one taken with Siena's book - the Museum of Modern Art just bought a hand painted copy.
A James Siena print
So, do art books count as "books," or are they just art? In this case, the medium seems inextricably linked to the project, so much that they are inseparable. Thoughts?


No comments: