Friday, October 7, 2011

Ada Lovelace Day

This is a day to celebrate women in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) fields. So…why am I covering this on a book blog?

1) I am a feminist.
2) It’s a BLOG. It relies on technology. Ada Lovelace is considered to be the first computer programmer, way back when she was working in 1842. I have a feeling she’d be pretty amazed at how we use computers today.
3) I like science books.  A good science writer helps explain to the lay person complicated ideas about the world around them.
4) There seems to be an artificial divide between those who like reading and those who like science. Those areas are not separate spheres. They are complementary.
5) I'm currently reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. It is so, so interesting. If you haven't heard of it, you've probably been living under a rock for the past two years. If you haven't read it yet, buy it from your local indie shop (I will earn like, a penny, if you buy it through this link):

I only found out about Ada Lovelace Day about a week ago. I'm thinking of hosting some kind of blogging event for it next year. To help get me started with some ideas and recommendations, why don't you go ahead and answer one of these questions:

Do you have any favorite STEM women you'd like to recognize? What science book (especially by a female author) would you recommend? 

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very cool! I have a new STEM lady to research now--thank you! Obviously, my ultimate favorite thus far in my life is Madame Curie, but I'm always interested to learn about others. (I'm also fascinated with the ladies of early archaeology, which certainly is a science, though I'm not sure it's the kind you had in mind.)
JNCL
The Beauty of Eclecticism

MJ said...

@JNCLI definitely would count archaeology as a science. I took a class on Ancient Egypt in college, and my professor was a young woman who spent every summer on digs in the Dakhleh Oasis. I can't imagine not considering her a scientist!

Ana S. said...

I can't believe I've yet to read Slook's book (though I've heard plenty about it, of course). As for recommendations, I put together a list over at my blog if you're interested! A blogging even next year would be wonderful. I'd participate for sure.

MJ said...

@Nymeth The Skloot book is so good! I finished it and am working on my review now, actually. I'm off to check out your list now :-)