Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sunday Salon: Not Much Reading Going On

Well, I guess I should say there's not much fun reading going on. I've been reading tons of essays in preparation for the bar exam, which is this Tuesday and Wednesday. Anyone need advice on distribution of marital property in Florida? I'm on it. (Not really. I am not yet a licensed Florida attorney, so there will be no legal advice here. Can't give the Florida Board of Bar Examiners any reason not to admit me!)

I am reading two books, Maps by Nuruddin Farah, which counts for the Africa Reading Challenge, and Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children.


I really need to concentrate on Midnight's Children. It's from the library, so I need to return it before I go out of town next weekend. I think I'm about a third of the way done. I should be able to knock it out in a day or so after the bar, so I'm hoping to be done by Friday. I'm not as worried about Maps, because I bought that one. It can take me awhile longer.

I am itching to finish a book, though. My last one was How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents (review publishing tomorrow), back on February 15th! I wouldn't call this a slump - more like part of the natural cycle where sometimes we read more, sometimes less, depending on what else is happening in life.

How has your reading been going? 

9 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Good luck on the bar exam!

Afterwards, your reading will undoubtedly pick up.

Your current reads look intriguing....

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

RebeccaK said...

Good luck on the bar exam, and do whatever you need to do to recover, even if that means you don't finish your library books! I remember basically falling asleep as I was drinking coffee after I took the exam.

Alyce said...

I can't even imagine the prep for the bar exam - good luck! (I took one law class in college and that was enough to let me know I'm not cut out for it.)

Rayna said...

Good luck on the bar exam!

I've never read any Salman Rushdie--do you have a rec on which book of his I should start with?

Kath said...

Oh I so know what you mean. I'm in the last few weeks of my thesis so fun reading has been minimised for a number of years thanks to ongoing study! I can't wait to be free to do loads more fun reading.

Best of luck with the exam!

MJ said...

Thanks everyone! I did take the New York exam in July, so at least I have an inkling of what I'm getting into.

@Ranya: This is my first Rushdie, so I'm afraid I'm not much help! I do think this was his first novel, so it might be a good starting point.

Melissa Wiebe said...

Good luck on your bar exam. Even though I am on vacation, my reading has been suffering. As usual, I brought too much along; should have only brought a few hard copies, but then one never does know how much one is going to read.

Mona said...

I'm impressed that you're able to read anything at all. When I was studying for the bar exam, I had trouble concentrating on anything after studying all day.

Good luck on the bar exam! You'll be fine! :)

Firmin Matheson said...

Good luck on the bar exam, MJ. I have heard of Salman Rushdie from my colleague at work. He said it's a good read. Well, I hope you ace the bar exams.