Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Beach Reads

Just in time for summer sunning season, the folks over at The Broke and the Bookish are having this week's Top Ten Tuesday participants list 
10 Great Beach Reads

Well, what is a "beach read"? They have the reputation for being easy breezy books, not requiring much thought, but I don't think that's necessarily the case. I want something that I care about, that sucks me in and makes me forget that I'm baking in the sun. Here are some ideas:

The City of Thieves, David Benioff. Compelling story about a Russian teenage boy on an impossible wartime mission. The constant tramping through the snow will make you appreciate the heat.

The Phantom Tollbooth, Norman Juster. This childhood book stands up to an adult rereading, and could be finished in an afternoon by the water.

The Thief of Always, Clive Barker. Creepy and suspenseful, you won't want to stop until you find out what Holiday House is hiding.

The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins. This super popular series certainly sucks you in, but you might be inspired to get off your towel and play some volleyball or practice open water swimming to build skills and endurance, lest you get caught up in the reaping.

Salt, seaside.
The Taste of Salt, Martha Southgate. I did read this on the beach last summer - and that was before I knew the main character, Josie, was a scuba diving marine biologist! Very fitting setting.

A Salty Piece of Land, Jimmy Buffett. Of course a Jimmy Buffett book is going to be good on the beach. And bonus: you learn about old lighthouses.

Life of Pi, Yann Martel. You'll be glad you're safely on land.

The Devil Wears Prada, Lauren Weisberger. Fun, snarky glimpse into the world of high fashion.

Tell Me Lies, Jennifer Crusie. Here's another light-hearted novel that's got a little mystery to boot.

Death on the Nile, Agatha Christie. You'll be glad this is one boat ride you missed! A ton of characters end up dead in this Hercule Poirot mystery.

Be sure to go check out other people's choices for this week's topic :-)

4 comments:

April (BooksandWine) said...

Oh, the Agatha Christie book sounds great. I've only read 2 of her books and would love to check more of them out.

Also? totally love that The Hunger Games is included.

AND I agree with your comment about Life Of Pi.

My Top Ten Tuesday

Anonymous said...

Oooo... good list!

Vikk @ Down the Writer's Path said...

Interesting list. I should read the Christie book....

Jessie @ Jessie's Random Place said...

I wasn't a big fan The Devil Wears Prada, I hope you like it.

Happy Reading!