Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday Rewind


This week the fine bloggers over at The Broke and the Bookish have
invited Top Ten Tuesday participants to "rewind" and blog about a previous topic. I had wanted to participate the week of "Top Ten Childhood Favorites" but somehow the time got away from me. I'm happy to take to opportunity to post some old favorites now.

The Berenstain Bears, Stan & Jan Berenstain. I loved this series, especially The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food. I still overdo it with the junk food and make myself sick on occasion. You think I'd have learned my lesson by now!

Beauty, Bill Wallace. What can I say - I was one of the completely horse-obsessed girls growing up. I dreamed of being able to spend the whole summer with a horse of my own.

The Giving Tree, Shel Silverstein. I've mentioned this book on other lists, but this is one it really needs to be included on. Something about the sparse drawings and the simple, sad story have always captured my imagination.

Ferdinand the bull sits in a field enjoying the breeze
The Story of Ferdinand, Munro Leaf. Okay, I read this book not long ago and I realized how absolutelycompletelyridicuously unrealistic it is. A pacifist bull goes out of control when he's stung by a bee, but sits calmly while he's provoked in a bull ring? I think not. Still, the illustrations are beautiful and I have fond memories of reading it when I was younger.

The Saggy Baggy Elephant, Kathyrn Jackson. My favorite Little Golden Book! The poor saggy baggy elephant is all alone and in danger until he finds more of his kind.

The Nancy Drew series, Carolyn Keene. Enough said.

The Babysitters Club, Ann M. Martin, Enough said, redux.

The Little Princess, Frances Hodgsen Burnett. A privileged little girl loses everything, but stays sweetly uncomplaining, and is rewarded in the end.

The Velveteen Rabbit, Beatrice Potter. Who doesn't secretly hope their favorite toys come to life?

The Billy and Blaze books, C.W. Anderson. Did I mention the love for horses?

I could go on - how did I not include anything by Marguerite Henry? Or Madeline L'Engle? Or, or, or... you get the point. I've always been a reader :-)

What were some of your favorite books when you were growing up?

6 comments:

Priya said...

My sister gave me her Berenstain Bears Nature and Science book when I was a kid, and it was my favourite book! I was obsessed with the Nancy Drew series for a while, too. Great list, brought back some awesome memories. Thanks!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I read and loved almost all of these as a kid! Giving Tree, The Berenstain Bears, Nancy Drew, such wonderful memories.

MJ said...

@Priya: Thanks! Glad I could help with some reminiscing!

@Melissa: These books just really stand the test of time, don't they?

Nea said...

Beautiful list! :) :) I still love my childhood books <3 :)

Anonymous said...

The Story of Ferdinand is one of my VERY favorite children's books ever. We have read it many, many times to our son, and he loves it as well. Great pick!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I remember so desperately wanting to start my own babysitters club but I was too young. Loved those books, too!